Re: (Yet another) netbooting trouble

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:31:20 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I feel a bit stupid and could use use some help:
>
> I have a powermac G4 but not the original apple keyboard for it. IIUC the
> keyboard has the "open cd drive" key and I found not way to open the drive
> w/o that (even OF doesn't seem to have a command for it). I would try booting
> from that drive, but since I fail to insert the CD in the first place, this
> is unlikely to work. Is there a OS X command to force it open?

In OF, `eject cd` is supposed to open/close the tray.

IIRC, in MacOS X the F12 key is mapped to open/close tray, but if
overloaded with other functions it will require that you press and hold
it to get to the drive control.

> Now, since the easy way did not work, I tried netbooting the machine and
> seem to be running into the same issues der Mouse described here:
>
>   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2009/04/05/msg000652.html
>
> I can load ofwboot.xcf just fine via tftp, but it fails to do it's dhcp
> dance:
> BOOTP/BSDP failed: no FILENAME specifiedopen /netbsd: Device not configured
[...]

I ran into all of that, too. The only thing I got to work was directly
sufficient tools to mount additional resources via nfs and prep a drive
for NetBSD.