Re: Powerbook 3400c

Hello,

On Nov 11, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Falk Stern wrote:

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 05:14:24PM -0500, Michael wrote:
On Nov 11, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Falk Stern wrote:

* chipsfb is flickering after exiting X.org

chipsfb has no modesetting support at all and the XFree86/Xorg chips
driver doesn't properly clean up after itself ( few drivers do, most
were apparently written for PCs running VGA text mode and rely on the
vgahw module to take care of restoring text mode - not what we need on
most non-PC hardware )

That's what I thought. Not chipsfb is broken (maybe not complete), but
Xorg is. At least a bit.

It's kind of shared broken- and incompleteness ;)
When I got my 3400c I just wanted a not so terribly slow console so I wrote chipsfb and left it where it is now - any non-accelerated driver will have the same problem so that's not even a regression :/ Also, back then I had no sane way to hook up a CRT to a 65550 so all mode setting I could test would be specific to panel output ( now I have a revision 4 shark with the same graphics chip but I'd have to add support for the VLB version which is slightly different and needs the PCI code split out ) and I still couldn't test DSTN support which needs some more special handling.
It's not like I'm going to run out of work any time soon ;)

If you feel like hacking chipsfb I have the official docs and they're
probably still available from Intel.

I'd like to, but I have absolutely no experience coding C or even device
drivers. I know a bit of perl, shell and awk, and thats about it.

Any pointers to documentation where to start?

The manual is here: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-14/DSA-279208.pdf ( couldn't find it on intel's website anymore )

* No working german keymap for X11, I'm missing square brackets, the
tilde and an @ the most.

No clue, my 3400c has a US keyboard.

Is there any way to use the wsconsole keyboard map in Xorg?

No. Keyboard handling in X is quite insane - it translates native scancodes ( like ADB in your case ) into something resembling AT scancodes which are then fed to XKB for further processing - it doesn't know or care about wscons keymaps at all.
So, the least annoying way would probably be some xmodmap hackery.

have fun
Michael