Re: install update - making progress, stuck at HFS

>>  I managed to mount /dev/wd0a on /mnt, chroot to /mnt, get the hfsutils
>> installed (after manually configuring networking), but there I get stuck.  I
>> cannot hformat /dev/wd0d.  I only get:
>>
>> /usr/pkg/bin/hformat: /dev/wd0d: error opening medium (Device not configured)
>>
>> I tried wd0e and f too just in case, but same message.  How do I configure
>> this device so I can get the boot files copied over there?
>
>What does your disklabel look like at this point ("disklabel wd0")?
>Does it have a HFS partition, and is it wd0d? (I suspect "no")  You
>seem to have used a different partitioning tool than "pdisk" when
>setting up the partition table, and you need to verify that the NetBSD
>disklabel matches up with what you told your partitioning tool, and
>ensure your mapping of "disk space" to "partition letter" is correct.
>
>Best regards and good luck,
>
>- Håvard

Is there a succinct explanation of how the disk space maps to the
partition "letter" with NetBSD?

I have also struggled with this, and have at times found it pretty
baffling.  http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/partitioning.html does not
fully explain how and why NetBSD picks the partition letters.

-dgl-