Powerbook 3400 upgrade info request [4.0.1->5.0rc3]

Greetings,

I just got through installing 4.0.1 onto my 3400 (the original "NetBook" 8^).

However, I have not been able to get X11 up yet.  8^{

My thought was to upgrade to 5.0 as the transition to Xorg seems the way to
go, so I may as well have my X11 learning experience there.

I burned the requisite files from rc3 onto an iso9660 CDROM.  My guess is that
either I can copy the files to the 3400's hard disk and boot from there or
just copy the ofwboot.xcf and kernel and select the CDROM media for the
upgrade.

Any guidance here?  Which method is likely to work/give the best=most-reliable
result?

Thanks much,
-KenD                      Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com