Re: iMac netboot issues

At 23:12 Uhr -0400 4.4.2009, der Mouse wrote:
>host imac.example.tld {
>       hardware ethernet 00:30:65:7a:80:6c;
>       fixed-address 10.0.255.2;
>       filename "ofwboot.xcf";
>       option root-path "/nfs/macppc";
>       option host-name "imac.example.tld";
>}

I am able to net-boot a B/W G3/400 with the following dhcpd entry:

        # Macintosh G3/400
        host henkelmann {
            hardware ethernet 00:50:e4:c0:5d:4b;
            fixed-address henkelmann.causeuse.org;
            option host-name "henkelmann";
            filename "ofwboot.xcf";
            next-server pizza.causeuse.org;
            option root-path "/export/henkelmann/root";
            always-reply-rfc1048 true;
        }

My memory fails me trying to remember where I got the
"always-reply-rfc1048" from, but it seems to be significant since the G3's
is the only machine entry here that has this option set (see the comment in
<http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/netboot/dhcpd.conf>, though).

I need to sometimes pull and re-plug the ethernet cable twice during boot,
btw, once when loading ofwboot.xcf, and the second time when the kernel
asks the dhcp server for nfs root information. Apparently the onboard
interface (bm(4)?) has... issues.

        hauke