Re: X on last released powerbook g4 ( on NetBSD 5 BETA)

Hello,

On Feb 21, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Israel Miranda wrote:

I recompilled the kernel without the radeonfb module and it worked.

Ok, so I do need to look at radeonfb and figure out why it thinks the aperture is only 64MB.

Now, when I was obtaining the sources to compile the kernel, I was in doubt about which branch to use... netbsd-5-base, netbsd-5-rc1 or netbsd-5-rc2
I choose netbsd-5-base, compiled all right.
Before, my kernel says NETBSD 5 BETA, now it says NetBSD 4.99.73. Is there a problem using an older kernel then the base in pkgsrc ?

- -base is the version the 5.0 branch is based on. Just use netbsd-5. - rc1, -rc2 and so on are tags, not branches.

how do I know which branch pkgsrc is using ?

Irrelevant, it has its own branches and should work with all recent NetBSD releases and -current.

What do you recommend for source/pkgsrc/ kernel use? netbsd-5-base, netbsd-5-rc1 or netbsd-5-rc2 ?
ooh... sorry for these quesions here too, but I am really lost

As I said - neither. Use either HEAD for -current or the netbsd-5 branch.

At first the keyboard didn' t work, Xorg.0.log yelled to use Option "Device" "/dev/wskbd0" didnt't work either, so I re-read your other email about it to and used Option "Device" "/dev/wskbd" and it worked.

Yes, Xorg -configure is still a bit stupid.

Touchpad doesn' t work, but I am using an external usb mouse

Use the pms kernel driver, newer PowerBooks need it for their touchpads.

Since you didn't say anything about it I guess radeonfb works propely on your machine.

Yes, my iBook has an rv280 which actually has a 64MB aperture and it works just fine.

No, it doesn't ... my installation was unusable with radeonfb. Console screen had a yellow background(very ugly) and the first upper lines weren't working. If the screen rolls down, it worked, but if I open a program like vi , mc or any other with 'full screen', these lines were unreadable. I had no graphical environment and the terminal was 'screwed', so I set sshd and was doing everything remotely

I better keep radeonfb from attaching on this chip. Besides, radeonfb shouldn't be compiled into 5.0 GENERIC and INSTALL kernels anyway, we know it has problems on some radeons.

Now without radeonfb the background is white, it works normally, and X starts.

Good.

uhidev5: Apple Computer Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, rev 2.00/0.86, addr 3, iclass 3/0
uhid1 at uhidev5: input=1, output=0, feature=0

Yes, you do need the pms driver.

(II) PCI: 00:00:0: chip 1002,4e50 card 1002,4e50 rev 00 class 03,00,00 hdr 00

Alright, no radeonfb for this PCI ID...

have fun
Michael