Re: problem with installboot on 4.0.1 install

--- On Mon, 12/1/08, Toru Nishimura <locore64%alkyltechnology.com@localhost>
wrote:

> I got the same installation failure days ago when I tried
> 4.0.1 with
> 800MHz G4.  Mine has "wd" in stead of
> "sd."  I guess installboot(8)
> should have run for rsd0c/rwd0c.
>
> Toru Nishimura / ALKYL Technology

Toru, thanks for suggestion. I'm running install again, this is my partition
table (I hope my mail client wont wrap the lines);

 We now have your BSD-disklabel partitions as:
 This is your last chance to change them.

    Start  MB   End  MB  Size  MB FS type    Newfs Mount Mount point
    --------- --------- --------- ---------- ----- ----- -----------
 a:         0      2949      2950 FFSv1      Yes   Yes   /
 b:      2950      3078       128 swap
 c:         0      3078      3079 Whole disk
 d:         0         0         0 unused
 e: Show all unused partitions
 f: Change input units (sectors/cylinders/MB)
>x: Partition sizes ok

Install boot attempts to install to rsd0a:
    Command: /usr/sbin/installboot /dev/rsd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
     Hit enter to continue
installboot: Can't write sector 0 of `/dev/rsd0a': Read-only file system
installboot: Set bootstrap operation failed

Continuing with installing sets...

After install complete running
# /usr/sbin/installboot /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
# echo $?
0
all looks good...
Rebooted, all works. Is this a bug with install script that it doesn't take
wholedisk partition?

Cheers,
Tomas