Re: startx > xauth - bad display name error

Hello,

On Jul 3, 2008, at 16:23, Bryan Pierce wrote:

Michael Lorenz wrote:

On Jul 3, 2008, at 06:56, Bryan Pierce wrote:

#### APROACH #1 - xf86config  #####

Wrong approach ;)
Try X -configure.

But I get this...
        <snip>
                 (--) Using wscons driver
                 (WW) xf86EnableIO 3
                 (II) xf86EnableIO: ffffffff
                 (WW) Can't map IO space!
        </snip>
and again...after the ATI Rage seems to load...

That's harmless - the atimisc driver doesn't need PCI IO access.

Anyway, X -configure should give you something that works. It will need adjustment for video mode, colour depth and such. You'll most likely have to do something about the Monitor section too - all the CRTs used in G3 iMacs need a fixed horizontal frequency, 60kHz on older models and I think 72kHz on the last few. Since you've got a Rage Pro my guess would be 60kHz.

have fun
Michael

I looked around and found these specs...(a bit more than I could find earlier)

Built-in Display: 15.0" (13.8") Native Resolution: 800x600* Details: *15.0" (13.8" viewable area) display supports 640x480 at 117 Hz,
       800x600 at 95 Hz, and 1024x768 at 75 Hz.

Yup, that;s fixed 60kHz.

I'm not totally sure how that all translates (I'm assuming I can ignore the "native resolution")
The one thing that I can't find anything on is the v-sync range
I know conservative is good, but if I entered the 50-70 Hz (is it Hz? :P ) range, then I should
be OK, right?!

No.
You'll want 70-120Hz vertical to accomodate the modes you listed above, and 60kHz horizontal. The iMac's built-in CRT does NOT behave like a regular multisync monitor, mainly because it's not multisync. It only synchronizes on 60kHz horizontal. Just do the math, all the modes listed above use the same horizontal frequency ( did you notice? fewer lines -> higher refresh rate ). Therefore the 'conservative approach' you mentioned, which is fine for regular monitors, will not give you any results on the iMac.

have fun
Michael