Re: G3 B&W vs 7600

Hi,

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 21:33 Uhr -0700 15.5.2008, Al - image hosting services wrote:
> >I was just wondering if someone could tell me what is more reliable. Of
> >course, if I was going to use the 7600, I would put in a G4 accelerator
> >card.
>
> In the light of what John Klos said, probably the 7600.

I would have to agree, although since I don't have a 7600 I will probably
try to use another G3 B&W.

> I've had mixed experiences with a B&W G3/400, from flaky Ethernet (have to
> un- then replug the cable for the machine to pick up an IP over dhcp) and a
> missing serial port (think console) to a 2940U2B SCSI controller that would
> not do wide SCSI with more than one disk on the bus. A 40 GB Seagate IDE
> disk works as expected, funny enough.

The ethernet is said to be better in the rev. 2 motherboards, but my
advice to anyone is not to use it for anything besides netbooting. The
Adaptec cards that they come with don't work under NetBSD very well, you
are much better off with an ATTO card. Although, I still get a panic with
mine if I do "shutdown -h now" sometimes after it says the systems has
been halted and I am droped into the debugger. Although, if I do "shutdown
-rf now" everything is fine and it reboots.

Best Regards,
Al