Re: Network problem...

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 09:00:02AM -0500, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 08:38, Niels S. Eliasen wrote:
>
> >Hi Michael
> >Well the old "default" interface "tlp0" delivered a better
> >throughput.. and that's just plain old 10Mb Ethernet, whereas this
> >one is 100Mb
>
> I doubt it. 1.1MB/s is pretty much the physical maximum you can
> squeeze through a 10MBit/s ethernet interface, your results are both
> higher although you're right, a fast ethernet interface should go
> faster.

Right.  The tlp should perform better than the rtk; they are both
100mbit/sec interfaces but the tlp is significantly less burdensome
on the host cpu, which is almost certainly the bottleneck here.

This test is getting and putting files from the disk drive.  I am
not surprised that a very old PowerBook cannot send data it has to
read from its internal hard disk faster than 27Mbit/sec.

A better test would be to use ttcp.

Thor