Subject: Re: macppc install problem on mac g3 wallstreet laptop
To: Drew Arnett <arnett.drew@gmail.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/2007 16:31:17

Hello,

On Sep 16, 2007, at 16:03, Drew Arnett wrote:

> Let me know if ports-macppc would be a more appropriate list.
>
> I had an old wallstreet laying around and decided to try a NetBSD
> install.
> I followed all of the instructions...
>
> install the OF patches to NVRAM per docs
> shutdown Mac OS
> start up to OF prompt
> setenv auto-boot? false
> setenv load-base 600000
> setenv real-base F00000
> reset-all
> start up to OF prompt
> install first of 2 install floppies for macppc 3.1
> boot fd2:,\OFWBOOT.XCF
>
> installer runs, prompts for second floppy
>
> installer kernel startup messages until gets to "scsibus0: waiting 2
> seconds for devices to settle..."
>
> It doesn't progress beyond that. Any ideas?

Looks like the IDE device probe hangs - not unheard of,
unfortunately, although I've never been able to reproduce it ( I have
a beige G3, like the wallstreet it's Heathrow--based )
Any chance to try something newer? Like a 4.0 release candidate or -
current? CD images for both should be available from http://
releng.netbsd.org.

Besides that, there are some open issues with the Wallstreet - some
may have a 2nd interrupt controller but I have no idea how to find it
or what devices are hooked up to it. If you get anything running
please mail me the ofctl -p output ( that's basically the
OpenFirmware device tree )
Then there were issues with the cardbus slots - they worked only with
16bit cards - which I think I fixed but since I don't have the
hardware I have no way to test. Then there was a PR about the eject
buttons not working.

Hmm, do you have any IDE device in a media bay? If there's an
interrupt issue it might help to remove it and see if the kernel gets
any further. I can only vouch for the mediabay code to work properly
on the PB3400c, it /should/ work on newer powerbooks but then again I
don't have the hardware.

have fun
Michael