Subject: Re: boot/root/type device?
To: Aris Colp <aris@PADL.COM>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/15/2000 13:08:32
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Aris Colp wrote:

> Everytime I re-boot NetBSD it keeps asking for root and filesystem
> Is there any way to circumvent this?

Please see

 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2000/02/08/0002.html

FWIW, I have a custom kernel without a hardcoded root device, and it at
least autodetects the root fs when netbooting just fine.  It's built from
current-20000206.

I think I remember a change went in recently to improve this code, but it
might have been some other kind of ``autodetection''--you might look at
the list archives more carefully.  If there was a change, you may want to
expend some effort making sure your kernel is from a -current that's
_after_ the change happened.

If you want further help, answers to the following questions would be a
start:

What kernel are you using that does this?  Where did you download it from,
or did you build it yourself?  Over what booting mechanism--netbooting,
cdbooting, diskbooting?  If you are net- or cd-booting, you're using
ofwboot, right?

In general, this happens when you pass the kernel the '-a' parameter.
It might also happen if the kernel can't automatically figure out from
where it was loaded, or if it doesn't have a driver for the device it was
loaded from (like, a floppy, for example).

--
Miles Nordin / v:+1 720 841-8308 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US