Subject: Re: Boot Supermac C500
To: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/08/2000 12:10:42
on 2/8/00 1:46 AM, Matthew Reilly at mjreilly@flashcom.net wrote:

> The machine boots but
> then it stops at:
>
> boot device: <unknown>
> root device:
>
> I put in wd0a and then I get:
>
> dump device (default wd0b):
> file system (default generic):
>
> After hitting return twice it continues booting. Why does it do this only
> with my custom current kernel and not the generic?

    I honestly don't know why custom kernel's do this and generic kernels
have no problem reading the boot device. To make it stop you'll have to edit
your kernel configuration file and then recompile. There should be a line
with something like:

root at ? type ?            Which you should change to:
root at wd0a type ffs

    The VAX and pmax ports do the same thing, so it's not just macppc. I
guess it's figured that if you're compiling your own kernel, you know where
you want your root file system at, and don't plan on changing it.

    Chris