Port-mac68k archive

Re: mac quadra found

Most Quadra motherboards have tantalum capacitors, so they shouldn't need replacing, but some (I don't remember which) have electrolytics and you should definitely take a look at the motherboard to see which you have. Recapping is decently documented.

The 610 definitely has electrolytics. Hilariously, in some cases Apple seems to have used tantalums (yes, yes, I know, which are technically electrolytic capacitors) in some places and (traditional "wet" aluminum) electrolytics in others *on the same board*.

It's good to be clear an unambiguous. Yes, the distinction is between wet and dry electrolytics :)

I shouldn't've said "Most" above - it should be "Some". I've had to recap 605 and 610 models, but not 650 (same as 800) and 630 models.

Thanks!
John