Port-mac68k archive

Re: Booter for 9.3 kernel not working

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 6:51 AM Hauke Fath
<hauke%espresso.rhein-neckar.de@localhost> wrote:

> This faintly rings a bell - ISTR there are size limits...

Yes, I have been able to reliably get different compressed kernels to
boot from the native Mac partition.

> ... and since we are talking about size -- how big is your root
> filesystem, and how far away from block 0 is it? ISTR (using that
> acronym an awful lot, but I've been with NetBSD/mac68k since 1994)
> there were issues with 6 byte vs. 10 byte SCSI block addresses, and you
> want to make sure the booter can find what it's looking for in the
> first GByte of disk.

Yes, I'm sure that's the issue.  My only NetBSD partition is 7GB in
size, and once you put the kitchen sink on it, new files are going to
be using blocks that are out in the 1.5GB or 2GB range...

When I was partitioning, I thought about limits in terms of NetBSD,
but I never really thought about the System 7 side of the equation.
:-)

Thanks,

Matt