Port-mac68k archive

Re: Booter for 9.3 kernel not working

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 3:21 PM Hauke Fath
<hauke%espresso.rhein-neckar.de@localhost> wrote:

> ISTR Think C doesn't work any more, and you need Codewarrior (in the
> right version to read the enclosed project file).

That appears to be the case.  I was able to get a build with CW and
the 2.0.0.a10 source to build.

I believe I have figured out the problem, and it essentially boils
down to big numbers two ways.

First, I was getting an lseek issue with the native filesystem image
boot.  I realized that it would boot, but only if the kernel was
compressed.  I believe this was in some way due to the file size, but
I haven't confirmed that yet.  All I can say is that I was able to get
a compiled kernel to boot.

So why wouldn't it work on the BSD filesystem?  The standard kernel
isn't compressed, so that isn't it.  The Booter logs indicate that it
was able to parse the filesystem, find the file, but that the magic
number was all 0's vs the standard ELF.  In this case, I think the
problem is that for the default kernel, the inode number and/or the
blocks used to store the kernel are small.  When I built a new kernel,
the blocks being used on the filesystem (which is fairly large) may
have been beyond some power of 2, and the filesystem handling code
couldn't find the executable and read it properly.

Time permitting, I'll see if I can confirm these theories, and if I'm
really lucky I'll be able to fix the filesystem code.  It may be that
I just need a smaller root filesystem.

Thanks to everyone for assisting in getting this far, and with all of
the code and the ability to rebuild Booter I feel like I should be
able to resolve the issues I'm seeing.

Matt