Port-mac68k archive

Moving mac68k to 8K pages?

Hi, m68k Mac fans,

After thinking about Izumi's recommendation to increase m68k usable address space by increasing the page size from 4K to 8K, I decided to give it a try on mac68k.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-m68k/2019/01/10/msg000720.html

On a Quadra 605 which has 132 megs of memory I could reliably panic the machine by trying to compile any of a number of different packages from pkgsrc. After switching to 8K, this Quadra has been compiling for 22 days straight without a panic.

I expect this will help with machines with even more memory. I have a Quadra 630 with 196 megs and a quadra 610 with 260 megs, plus soon a Quadra 800 with 520 megs.

Are there any good reasons to not switch mac68k to 8K pages, at very least until someone gets around to rewriting the PMAP?

John Klos