Port-mac68k archive

NetBSD 7.0.1 on a Quadra 660AV

I installed NetBSD 7.0.1 on a 68 MB Quadra 660AV using
the traditional method (no CD-ROM drive). NetBSD 7.0.1
was installed on a partition that fit within the first
GB on the disk. The NetBSD Installer apparently can't
handle partitions larger than 1 GB, though Mkfs seems
able to create them.

After booting single user with no problems (other than
one unexplained crash that I couldn't duplicate), I
configured /etc/rc.conf, rebooted and noted the following:

1) The system would repeatedly crash at boot time about
15 minutes into running "Updating fontconf cache", with
a panic following an "Out of address space" error. Since
swap (a 2 GB partition) had already been initialized, the
script that updates the fontconf cache must have been
wanting more than 2 GB of memory.

2) It would be nice to be able to disable all of IPv6
via an option in /etc/rc.conf. I'll never need IPv6 on a
68k Mac (yes, I can build a kernel without IPv6 support,
but I didn't see a clean way to disable it with the
standard installation kernel without editing the
"/etc/rc.d/network" script, and even then it seemed to
be partially enabled.

3) Boot and login times seemed a little slow. A couple
months ago some changes were made to the startup scripts
to speed them up, and that worked on a Mac IIfx running
NetBSD 6.1.5. I haven't tried installing NetBSD 7.0.1 yet
on my Mac IIfx, so I don't know whether those changes
ended up in 7.0.1.

4) Since Debian seems to have given up on the Quadra 660AV
after Debian 3.1 (because of no DMA support for the ESP
SCSI controller due to a lack of documentation for Apple's
PSC chip), NetBSD 7.0.1 is now the most current operating
system available for the 660AV.

-Stan