Port-mac68k archive

Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

Hi all.

On 20 wrz 2011, at 10:17, David Brownlee wrote:
> I'd like to suggest a deadline is set for cutting all remaining ports
> across to xorg - the source will remain in the repository for anyone
> wanting to port any Xfree86 drivers across to Xorg.

This might mean "no more X11 server on an amiga".

AFAIK Xorg does not support old-style ite/grf drivers present on this port.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Even though we have some wscons support, 99%
of users do not use it on amiga, because it is not complete and is not enabled
by default. In fact there's only one working wscons driver (amidisplaycc, for
amiga's integrated graphics). And we have tons of drivers utilizing the old
ite/grf mechanism.

Converting all ite/grf drivers to wscons is a huge task. I doubt it is
possible, considering slow development activity on m68k ports. Adding support
for ite/grf to Xorg might be easier actually.

I am currently working on a PCI subsystem, which might bring some wsdisplay
drivers to amiga, but it has still a long way to go.

> I suspect a bunch of them would work fine with wsfb

Bunch = one or (more likely) zero in case of amiga.

--
Best regards,
Radoslaw Kujawa