Port-mac68k archive

Re: Macintosh LCIII - NetBSD

Dan-
For what it's worth, I have definitely had NetBSD 4.0.1 working on an LCIII. However, I may have moved the drive from a IIci, so I can't guarantee that it would have successfully made filesystems. (At the time, I was testing out performance differences between the IIcx, IIsi, IIci, and LCIII. Your sanity is safer if you don't ask why.) It's also possible that I did the install by hand, but I think I used sysinst. As an aside, this was without a FPU; I don't remember where I got the msoft-float install from. Anyway, I saw that you tried 5, and tried 3, but I'm not sure if you tried 4--it might be worth a shot. If you need msoft-float and can't find it, let me know--I'm not sure where I have it, but I'm sure I have it somewhere. (I never delete anything, it seems.)
  Good luck!

  -Seth

Quoting Dan Whitehouse <crab%dim-sum.org@localhost>:

Hi, I keep looking at my LCIII and when I have the mental strength I might have another try at installing NetBSD. I tried 3.1.1 with no luck - I attemped a sysinst install and it failed making filesystems (see previous posts to the list). John Klos very kindly provided me with a test kernel but again, I had no luck. I know that once upon a time I had a 1.x series NetBSD working on here, so my plan is to work backwards.

My next attempt will be using 2.1 probably with the traditional method.
If I can get a working system what are my chances of ever upgrading it?

Dan