Port-mac68k archive

Re: bootable ISOs

At 19:31 Uhr +0900 10.3.2009, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost wrote:
>
>> At 1:53 Uhr +0900 10.3.2009, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>> >I've committed some changes to src/distrib/cdrom
>> >and put (unofficial and untested) bootable ISOs:
>> >

>>>ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/iso/mac68kcd-5.0_RC2-20090307.iso.
>> >gz
>>
>> Seriously? Bootable? mac68k? System 7 and all? How did you do that? And
>> what does Apple say?
>
>Depends on definition of the word "bootable."
>
>I'm not a Macintosh user, but I thought it was common knowledge
>that using Booter utility was the only way to boot NetBSD/mac68k.
>In that scope, "bootable ISO" means a CD image which has a hyblid
>ISO9660/HFS file system with all necessary executable MacOS binaries.

Okay. But the CD doesn't come with a bootable Apple Macintosh System on it,
and cannot, for obvious licensing reasons. That's why I asked back. It is
still very helpful for beginners to have a one-stop install media - thanks
for your work!

>If you don't think it is so common, you can add a FAQ entry
>that mentions "you need MacOS to boot NetBSD/mac68k"
>before answering "what to do" to boot.

:)

I am well aware of the issue... and Colin Wood's mac68k FAQ surely has the
necessary information already.

>Anyway, your message has discourage my motivation enough.

It wasn't meant that way, at all, no offense intended! It is just that if
you had been able to pull off a bootable redistributable CD, that would
have been almost too good to be true.

Kind regards,

        hauke