Subject: Re: MI "sbc" vs. MD "ncrscsi" driver for NCR 5380
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/2006 12:55:26
On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:48:27AM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> does anyone know what problems still exist with the sbc driver that
> would prevent us from switching to that and getting rid of the
> mac68k-specific ncrscsi driver?  the MI driver is 50% faster and uses
> 1/3 less CPU time than the MD driver.

I never ran NetBSD on a Mac that used the 5380, so I didn't pay too
much attention to the problems; what I remember was that some drives
worked properly with sbc, while others only worked properly with
ncrscsi. Someone (Allen Briggs?) suggested that a SCSI bus analyzer
might be helpful in figuring out what the exact problem is.

Searching the list archives for messages that mention SCSI bus
analyzer turns up these threads:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2000/09/04/0012.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2000/10/27/0007.html
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 30 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++