Subject: Re: Partitioning & Booting 2.0.2
To: Philipp Reichmuth <farrxmdfas.20.reichmuth@spamgourmet.com>
From: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2005 16:01:28
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:51:15PM +0200, Philipp Reichmuth wrote:
> Nyef schrieb:
> >>Now if I could just boot NetBSD directly... ;)
> >
> >I can. Tried it on an SE/30 (Mac-II class ROMs) and an LC-II (Universal
> >ROMs). Unfortunately, by the time I got it working I was -way- burned
> >out on it, so I just pushed the code to my webspace, announced it here,
> >and didn't bother turning it into anything universal or even getting it
> >running from a hard drive. And it worked on an a.out system, and by the
> >time I had it running everyone else had switched over to ELF.
> >
> >Also, someone else did the same for Linux using a slightly different
> >approach. So it's definately possible, and the hard work has been done.
> >
> >If anyone wants to pick up where I left off, let me know, and I'll dig
> >out the latest versions of everything and make sure it's on the web.
>
> At least I'd want to look at it.  I can't make any promises, but it
> would be nice anyway to have this sort of thing on the Web.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2003/08/23/0001.html is my
initial success message. The links in that message should still be
valid. Subsequent messages imply that I continued working on it
afterwards, so I'll have a look around for a more recent version when I
get time (hopefully in a day or so).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/emile/ is a native mac68k booter for
Linux. Support for PPC systems appears to be going in now (presumably
for pre-OF-3 systems such as the original NuBus-based systems and
pre-iMac desktops and laptops). This guy got his booter working at about
the same as mine finally worked. It might be worth working with this
instead of what I had.

In the project news box for emile there is an item for a SWIM floppy
driver. That news item contains a link to a kernel patch that contains a
read-only SWIM driver. A cursory read doesn't reveal anything obviously
wrong with it.

> My SE/30 has the original ROM, so I'd probably have a 24-bit problem
> anyway...

I can assure you that having 24-bit ROMs is not an obstacle here.

> Philipp

--Alastair Bridgewater