Port-m68k archive

Re: Generic PCI/VirtIO m68k port?

Hi Chris, Laurent, folks,

Laurent Vivier wrote:

> QEMU m68k only supports virtio, not PCI.
>
> the virt machine type in qemu-system-m68k uses memory mapped virtio
> devices (on PCI machines, they are mapped in a PCI memory region and
> the PCI card is plugged on the PCI bus)
>
> An OS port is really easy to do (well, I have always to finish the
> linux one), as virtio is generic and already implemented for other
> archs. Only issues we can have is to find bugs in virtio for 32bit
> big endian guest as m68k is the only one to use it. We need also to
> implement guestfish drivers, that are generic too in linux, not sure
> it's implemented in BSD (it's for android).

NetBSD has the MIPSSIM kernel under evbmips which also uses memory
mapped virtio (and no PCI).  This should also be able to run 32-bit
big endian, but I don't think I've tried that combination.  I have
used 64-bit big endian memory mapped virtio.

The glue at the NetBSD end is pretty simple - look at
sys/arch/evbmips/mipssim/virtio_mainbus.c .

Cheers,
Simon.