Port-m68k archive

Re: Generic PCI/VirtIO m68k port?

Le 09/11/2021 à 08:45, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz a écrit :
Hi Chris!

On 11/5/21 19:55, Chris Hanson wrote:
Has anyone considered adding a "generic" NetBSD/m68k port that follows Linux boot
protocol and (just) supports VirtIO?

My understanding is that QEMU supports PCI and VirtIO with m68k now, which would make
it good to use as a pkgsrc builder. (It may also support SMP, I'm not sure. Be cool if it did…)

I agree, that would be a pretty cool idea. The Linux and QEMU bits were written by Laurent
Vivier (CC'ed), maybe he can give some advise on the details.

QEMU m68k only supports virtio, not PCI.

the virt machine type in qemu-system-m68k uses memory mapped virtio devices (on PCI machines, they are mapped in a PCI memory region and the PCI card is plugged on the PCI bus)

An OS port is really easy to do (well, I have always to finish the linux one), as virtio is generic and already implemented for other archs. Only issues we can have is to find bugs in virtio for 32bit big endian guest as m68k is the only one to use it. We need also to implement guestfish drivers, that are generic too in linux, not sure it's implemented in BSD (it's for android).

Thanks,
Laurent