Port-m68k archive

Re: Problems with gzipped tarballs on -current

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, John Klos wrote:

> Hmmm... Now, with a kernel built from yesterday's source, trying to do a
> make update in pkgsrc reboots the machine when it gets to the extract
> part. This is the m68k Mac, and it's remote, so I can't see what's going
> on, but I'll try on the Amiga which is local.

  I was switching between 5.0_STABLE and -current to test out the
raidframe parity map (a 6GB raid1 partition takes about an hour to
rebuild parity, and I frequently get dirty parity on boot).  One of the
things I was doing was extracting an old source file I had laying around
on the disk.  It seems to be stable on 5.0_STABLE, but I've had some
strange memory faults on -current.  A couple of them were 'illegal
instruction' at weird places.  The last one was a fault in one of the pmap
routines and appeared to have the wrong address for a page table entry
pointer it was trying to update.  Since my kernel was using a locally
modified pmap_motorola.c, I presumed I hadn't managed to keep my changes
in sync correctly with the recent pmap changes.  I will probably grab one
of the autobuild kernels at some point and try that.  It usually takes
several hours before it fails.

Mike