Port-ia64 archive

Re: GNU toolchain obsoletes ia64

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 01:27:31AM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> Additionally, no action is equivalent to letting it die.
>
> If we want to keep it up, it could be one of the latest chances.

We can still revisit/revive it once:

 - our in-tree toolchain is about to update to a version that does not
   support it any more
 - at that point our ia64 port is anywhere close running userland tests

With the current state of our port any toolchain work is likely a waste.

Even if upstream would not (immediately) reinstate the support, we
still can live with outdated or out-of-tree toolchains for a while and
see if there is any interest. We have been there before (and it did not
go too well with e.g. playstation2 where we have toolchain support
back, but still no working kernel).

Martin