Port-ia64 archive

Re: Announce DDB:

On ചൊ, 2005-12-27 at 02:41 +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> This is probably a stupid question, but: how and where to start?

Not at all... its probably not very obvious from the stub website that
kochi@ and I put up. There's a link to a wiki there though, where most
of the
details are.

> I understand that installing pkgsrc/emulators/ski is the first step,
> but what then? Are there any prebuilt binaries (kernel, floppy/CD images,
> ...), or do they have to be built? How?

Since things are pretty much in dev, yes, you need to build both the
bootloader and the kernel.

You need to build the bootloader first:

cd arch/ia64/stand/ia64/ski
will give you a binary called 'skiload' which is the bootloader.

Then you need to build the kernel.

Its the usual:

build.sh -mia64 tools
build.sh -mia64 kernel=GENERIC.SKI

Then just follow:

> Having easily to follow instructions may help people following and
> helping! (I just have a cursory interest in the port and won't be of much
> help with the actual data; my focus is on documentation :-)
> Maybe you can post some instructions that we can link to as "getting
> started" from http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/ia64/ or putting it on the
> port-ia64-FAQ.

I think I'll do just that, but on the wiki ( I'm not an expert with
xml ).
Thanks for the suggestion!!!