Port-i386 archive

Re: Help needed to port NetBSD to an alien i386 machine

Ah, I realized that I made a mistake, I wanted to write:
"as 386 has been NOT supported by NetBSD for a very long time." :)

În lun., 11 sept. 2023 la 18:45, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> a scris:
On Mon, 11 Sept 2023 at 16:22, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 12:06:51PM +0300, BogDan Vatra wrote:
> > I'd like to port NetBSD-8 to an altos unix machine[0]. Altos has unix
> > installed and I chose netbsd-8 because I want to be able to run also unix
> > apps and 8 was the last version that supported ibcs2.
>
> That talks about 80386 processors. We don't support 80386 and I'm fairly
> sure that no one is insane enough to bring that back. There are just too
> many stupid bugs to make that worthwhile.

I think NetBSD 4 (from 2008) was the last version to support 80386
CPUs (Unless you have an Altos 900, 1700 or 3500 (AcerPower 486e)
system), which should still be a reasonable target to port (if you are
inclined to tilt at that particular windmill :)

David