Port-i386 archive

Re: 9.0 Installing issues

> Meanwhile I gave another machine a try, slightly newer, this time
> booting from an USB stick, and right after the kernel has loaded (I
> believe those magic numbers at the very start with the rotating pipes
> indicate the kernel)

Generally, yes.

> the system reboots.  Before any further boot messages appear.

This can indicate that you're actually trying to boot NetBSD/amd64 on a
CPU that does not have 64-bit support.  It can also indicate various
other things, though; I mention this just in case you managed to pick
up the amd64 version by mistake.  (It would be nice if this were
something NetBSD/amd64 could detect and print a message about, but I
don't know enough about the relevant details to know how feasible that
would be.)

One note - there could be more messages printed, followed closely
enough by the reset that you don't get a chance to see them.  One thing
that can help in that case, if the machine has a real serial port, is
to tell the booter to switch to the serial port for console.  Then the
reset shouldn't lose more than, at most, the last character or two of
console output.  (In my experience, this is "consdev com0" or the like
at the > prompt.  If you just get the booter banner back on video
console, the machine does not have a serial port, or at least not in
the form the booter understands.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign