Port-i386 archive

Re: cpu_counter_serializing() vs. QEMU

On 6/20/13 7:26 PM, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
Intel(R) 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual
Volume 3 (3A, 3B & 3C): System Programming Guide
17.13 TIME-STAMP COUNTER

     TSC flag - A feature bit that indicates the availability of the
time-stamp counter.
     The counter is available in an if the function CPUID.1:EDX.TSC[bit 4] = 1.

We're already doing this check - I think the problem stems from the fact that QEMU doesn't implement the MSR - it *does* seem to implement rdtsc, though, which seems to be a non-serializing version. Are you suggesting we should disable TSC entirely for QEMU? How will this affect non-serializing uses?