Port-i386 archive

Re: 6.0.1 upgrade dhcp problem

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 07:59:20AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:02:12PM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> >
> > However, some drivers incorrectly reset PHY on a MTU change which
> > triggers the link down/up and kind of gets into a little loop.
>
> Some drivers _have to_ reset the PHY on an MTU change.  Admittedly,
> a lot less than used to be the case, but on some hardware, it is still
> unavoidable.

I'd have thought it could only ever require a MAC reset, not a PHY one.
In any case reducing the MTU should never be a problem.

I'd have thought that it would be worth configuring the MAC for frames
that are large enough to hold PPPoE and/or VLAN full sized 'normal'
frames (something like 1536 including the crc).

From what I remember of old MAC devices - they were unlikely to have
any limit on the rx frame length at all. Very long frames used to be
'quite interesting' to process - since the entire ring of rx buffers
gets filled with one frame!

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost