Port-i386 archive

5.1 installer issue

I've recently had occasion to install a few 5.1 systems from the CD,
which has led me to discover three related problems with the installer.
(Well, more than three, but these are the only ones I think NetBSD is
likely to consider problems.)

I don't know to what extent these are i386-specific.  If there's a
better place to discuss them, just let me know.

When partitioning the disk, I specifically switched the input unit to
sectors and specified an exact sector count.  But then upon telling the
installer that I'm good with what it's got, it shows me the layout it's
chosen, and it's gone and silently changed the size - the size I
specified has been...well, not quite ignored, because the size chosen
is close to it, but it certainly hasn't been obeyed, even though the
previous display showed exactly what I entered.

That's problem 1.  Problem 2 arose because the partition in question is
at the end of the disk, and, when patching up the damage done by the
previous problem, I discovered that the partition editor provided at
that point has no way to say "change the size but leave the end fixed,
moving the start instead".  The end isn't even modifiable, only the
beginning and the size, each leaving the other one fixed.  There's also
no way to say "expand this partition to include the now-unused space
next to it"; I had to do the arithmetic to figure out the appropriate
start and size values.  (Not that that's difficult, but it introduces
significant mistake potential when copying numbers around manually, and
it seems somewhat broken to have to use an external calculator, whether
electronic, cellulose and graphite, or wetware, when there's a
perfectly good computer right there.)

Problem 3 is comparatively minor: when editing a number (eg, when
patching up the damage done by problem 1), if the first character typed
is a backspace, it deletes not the last character, but the whole
number.  This is extremely obnoxious when you want to delete just the
last character and (not unreasonably, I think) expect backspace to
delete just the previous character, the way it does just about
everywhere else, and unexpectedly lose the rest of the number.

If a PR would be a good idea, I can file one - or three, if that'd be
better.

\ / Ribbon Campaign