Port-i386 archive

Any users of EST_FREQ_USERWRITE and INTEL_ONDEMAND_CLOCKMOD?

Hi.

I would like to remove the options(4) and the code that implements
EST_FREQ_USERWRITE and INTEL_ONDEMAND_CLOCKMOD. But is anyone actually using
these options?

Both are commented out by default in GENERICs and both are of questionable
value. Especially the latter, "T-states" in ACPI jargon (see acpicpu(4) for
a short description), should not be something that users and system
administrators should "tune" themselves. I also have doubts about the
robustness of INTEL_ONDEMAND_CLOCKMOD on new CPUs.

The rationale is that I am moving things to the newly added "cpufeaturebus",
so that options(4) are not used directly. This provides modularity and will
allow safe fallback to ENHANCED_SPEEDSTEP and POWERNOW_K8 if problems are
detected with acpicpu(4). But I wouldn't want to unnecessarily add entries to
cpu_info because of something with dubious value -- and no users?

- Jukka.