Port-i386 archive

Re: envstat wrong: who's at fault?

>> The problem is that the charge is decreasing significantly faster
>> than the discharge rate indicates.
> All values reported by envstat(8) come directly from ACPI.

I suspected maybe so.  Thank you for confirming it.

That's both good and bad news.  It's good news in that it means there's
no bug-fixing, upgrading, or back-porting for me to do.  It's bad news
in that it means the problem is effectively unfixable.

> You could consider some kind of normalization by using the envsys(4)
> API, but I am afraid that there is not much we can do about the
> actual readings.

The actual application-level program I've built (or rather, which I've
built the first version of) does use the envsys(4) ioctls.  I guess
I'll have to measure the discharge rate rather than believe what that
field is returning, then, if it turns out I care about it (in the
current version, I don't care about it, but some of the changes I've
been thinking about would need it).

In passing, would it be appropriate and/or useful to suggest
improvements to that API?  When I was writing code, I found the
envsys(4) ioctls to be deficient for my purposes.  (Not cripplingly so,
but annoyingly so.)  Would it be useful to outline what I as an
application author would like to see, and, if so, should I do it here,
or in a change-request PR, or what?

\ / Ribbon Campaign