Port-i386 archive

Re: ACPI runtime debugging

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 12:07:34PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2010, at 12:38 AM, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
>
> > ACPICA's own debugger is already hooked into ddb(4). Just drop into DDB and
> > call acpi_osd_debugger(). Also this requires a kernel with ACPI_DEBUG
> > option.
>
> Maybe this should become a full-fledged DDB command that shows up in the
> DDB help, etc?

Just for the record: I haven't forgotten this. The general problem here is
that building the ACPICA debugger requires also the disassembler. Together
these add plenty of code:

     GENERIC:                        11180269
     GENERIC + ACPI_DEBUG:           11376086        + approx. 1 %

Naturally some #ifdefs could be added.

Given the amount of problems people have with ACPI, I am currently
investigating whether at least the debug output -features could be enabled
in stock GENERICs. (Unfortunately the ACPICA build system is somewhat
braindead.)

- Jukka.