Port-i386 archive

Re: ksyms broken by multiboot in NetBSD 5?

Grégoire Sutre wrote:

For ksyms, I suspect that the problem comes from the multiboot command in NetBSD's boot loader, as I have a working ksyms when booting with GRUB Legacy (booting with multiboot).

Actually, using multiboot in NetBSD's boot loader gives the kernel message:

multiboot: Information structure flags: 0x0000000d

which means in particular that the flag MULTIBOOT_INFO_HAS_ELF_SYMS is not set. Hence the function multiboot_ksyms_addsyms_elf does nothing, and this function is supposed to set up the initial kernel symbol table (as per comment).

So, as I understand it, this problem is not a bug, but a missing feature in the multiboot implementation of the NetBSD boot loader. In -current and netbsd-5, the file sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/exec.c contains code related to this, but this code is enclosed in a #if 0 ... #endif.

Grégoire