Port-i386 archive

Re: netbsd-5 system hangs while booting since recent kernel update

gson%gson.org@localhost said:
> Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> > Huh. Why aren't these FIXUPs on by default already?

I've seen cases where the fixup did more harm than good. I believe
one was on a desktop with onboard graphics which was disabled if a VGA
card was plugged in but FIXUP enabled it again. Multiple PCI-ISA
bridges also likely trigger problems. What makes it harder is
that the code is almost incomprehensible.
So I'd say the FIXUP should only be done if necessary.

> NetBSD/i386 releases used to
> include a GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel that had the FIXUP options, but at
> some point it was dropped without adding the FIXUP options to the
> GENERIC kernel.

This doesn't look like a well-thought move.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt