Port-i386 archive

Re: system call incompatibilities across releases

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:48:10PM +0000, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
[...]
> > > The time has come to do another round of upgrades, so I'm
> > > understandably concerned not to run into any similar issues.   Is
> > > there a document somewhere that lists potential issues of this kind?
> >
> > Well, I'm pretty sure everything that describes how to update a system
> > include booting a new kernel first...
> >
> > And then running etcupdate of course;  you probably wouldn't have been
> > hit so hard with PAM if you had done that.
> >

> And if I had booted a new kernel first, I would have been unable to
> log in remotely because of PAM, so I wouldn't have been able to run
> etcupdate, a fortiori.   That's precisely the sort of gotcha I want to
> avoid.   See what I mean?

PAM has nothing to do with the kernel.  Your system would have been just
fine.  login(8) and such are the ones using PAM.

> At the time, I got a lot of willing help and advice from this list
> which, taken in aggrgate, would have enabled me to avoid the problem.
> But none of the contributions covered all the the issues I
> encountered, and it was only in retrospect that I was able to piece
> together what had gone wrong.

Blaming your issues on PAM is unfair.  Many people ran into issues
because they didn't use postinstall(8) or etcupdate(8) after installing
the new userland.  It's a critical step of the upgrade process.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost