Port-i386 archive

Re: system call incompatibilities across releases

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:48:10PM +0000, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> [...]
> And if I had booted a new kernel first, I would have been unable to
> log in remotely because of PAM, so I wouldn't have been able to run
> etcupdate, a fortiori.   That's precisely the sort of gotcha I want to
> avoid.   See what I mean?

No, pam has nothing to do with the kernel. The correct upgrade sequence
is:
1) install new kernel (with COMPAT_30 of course, if your build your
  own kernel), reboot
2) extract .tgz sets (exept etc and xetc) for new binaries in /
3) extract etc.tgz and xetc.tgz in /tmp and run
   postinstall -s /tmp -d / fix
   (fix manually issues that postinstall couldn't sort out and run again,
   until all is OK).

Don't reboot between 2 and 3 of course, or you'll boot a half-upgraded
system and could have issues.
This has worked for me between 1.6 and 3.0, and again between 3.0 and
5.0 on a wide variety of systems.