Port-i386 archive

Re: mac virtualization recommendation

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 08:38:06PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> What are people's current recomendations for running netbsd in a vm on a
> mac?

VMware Fusion works very well for me. I've used 2.0 for month and just
upgrade to 3.0 which seems to work as well.

> I would like to be able to do kernel debugging, ...

I've tried to use a serial console, but VMware Fusion definitely supports
virtual serial device. So it is probably possible. You can of course
just use ddb in the console window of the virtual machine.

> ... plus use the netbsd system normally.

Most of the time I use the virtual machine itself to build NetBSD.
It does that quicker than my fastest physical NetBSD machine as it
has four virtual cores. The machine is otherwise integrated in my
home network like its physical predecessor which includes NIS
(nss-ldap for NetBSD anybody? :-) ) and NFS mounted home directories.

> As long as a license is less than a $100-$200,

It is $69.99 on Amazon, eventually cheaper in their online shop.

        Kind regards