Port-i386 archive

Re: Can't install on Dell Dimension 3100

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Ray Phillips <r.phillips%uq.edu.au@localhost>
wrote:
 I thought I'd report that I had access to a Dell Dimension 3100 briefly
 recently and discovered it isn't possible to install NetBSD/i386 on it, even
 a -current version which was CVS updated on 13 March 2009.  The problem
 seems to be with the USB driver.  The symptom is the probing of system
 devices during booting stops at this stage:

Try disabling the azalia driver (or ehci if that one is not present).
Boot the installer using 'boot -c' (stop the automatic boot at the
boot loader and type that) so that it drops into userconf.  From
there, disable the driver using "disable azalia" or "disable azalia*";
can't remember the exact syntax.  Then quit userconf and see if the
system boots.

After installation, you'll need to do that again...  If it is the
problem I'm thinking about, your system is sharing an IRQ among
several drivers and one of them is messing things up.  In the case of
my dell machine, the faulty one is azalia.  You can either go with no
sound or with no USB 2.0 support (by disabling azalia or ehci
respectively).

Thanks Julio but unfortunately that didn't help.

When I disabled the azalia driver this was the result:

uc> disable azalia
[310] azalia* disabled
uc> exit
[..]

and there was no apparent difference from when booting normally.

When ehci was disabled:

uc> disable ehci
[224] ehci* disabled
[225] ehci* disabled
uc> quit
[..]
wsmouse0 at ums0 mux 0
uhidev1 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev1: Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard, rev 1.10/20.00, addr 2. iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev1
wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
atapibus0 at atabus0: 2 targets
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <PHILIPS DVD+/-RW DVD8801, MY0M9753701595C8019, 5D24>
cdrom removable
wd0 at atabus1 drive0: <WDC WD1600JS-75NCB1>
wd0: 149 GB, 310019 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 312500000 sectors
Kernelized RAIDframe activated
pad0: outputs: 44100Hz, 16-bit, stereo
audio1 at pad0: half duplix
boot device: cd0
root on cd0a dumps on cd0b
root file system type: cd9660
warning: no /dev/console
exec /sbin/init: error 2
init: trying /sbin/oinit
exec /sbin/oinit: error 2
init: trying /sbin/init.bak
exec /sbin/init.bak: error 2
init path (default /sbin/init):

At which point the keyboard didn't respond.

When both azalia and ehci were disabled:

uc> disable azalia
[310] azalia* disabled
uc> disable ehci
[224] ehci* disabled
[225] ehci* disabled
uc> exit
[..]

and the result was the same as when just ehci was disabled.

Ray