Port-i386 archive

Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Antti Kantee wrote:
[snip]
So, I think I like the Linux approach where you can decide in
your config file if you want something as a module or not at all.
Then just integrate module building with kernel building and that's it.

As smb said:
        module foo
        module bar

This sounds good to me.

GENERIC has everything on as modules and GARGANTUA has everything built-in
(preferably sharing some config aspects).

At its very simplest either:
sed 's/^module/options/' GENERIC > GARGANTUA
or:
grep -v "^module" GENERIC > GARGANTUA

The latter if config format is along the lines of:
mfi*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # LSI MegaRAID SAS
module mfi

Of course GENERIC could just be:
include "arch/i386/conf/ALL"
include "arch/i386/conf/modular"
where modular just contains:
module mfi
module wm
module foo
module bar

As long as config didn't barf if a module line existed that refered to a non-existent config option, then just including modular would make any kernel config fully modular.

Considering that the new-style
modules don't have any code path differences between built-in and module,
I think we can support both.  Although it's a bit of a strech for me,
I'm willing to try to see why people want monolithic gunk - sometimes
it's just more practical (cf. static linking).

I use a single monolithic kernel (with embedded ramdisk) which is basically the whole system capable of upgrading itself from ftp, tftp or http and runnable from tftp/pxe, ffs, fat, ntfs, ext2fs, cd9660, etc. I guess it would be fine to pull in audio drivers when needed, but I'd want the rest included.

--
Stephen