Port-i386 archive

Re: Hitachi 500G drive issue (NetBSD 4)

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 02:28:00PM +0100, Ian wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> firstly, apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.
>
> I've recently added a RAID 5 array to my home server, which consists of
> 4*500gig Hitachi Deskstar SATA drives.
>
> I initially had a problem building the parity on the raid, which would
> always fail at the same point, which I traced down to the same LBA bug
> which affects Seagate drives at the 130G mark.
>
> This was solved by adding a pattern match for the drive to
> src/sys/dev/ata/wd.c to set the WD_QUIRK_FORCE_LBA48.
>
> Firstly, is this the correct place to fix it?
>
> Secondly, should I submit this as a change/bug request? (I can't believe
> noone else has this issue with these drives??)
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> I'm building from source, currently tracking 4.0-STABLE, uname -a says:
>
> (ian:/usr/src/sys/dev/ata)$ uname -a
> NetBSD thejolly.demon.co.uk 4.0_STABLE NetBSD 4.0_STABLE (spiderpig) #0:
> Wed Mar 12 21:02:08 GMT 2008
> root%thejolly.demon.co.uk@localhost:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/spiderpig
> i386

The fix for this was pulled up to netbsd-4-0 on march, 30:
revision 1.335.2.1.4.1
date: 2008/03/30 14:44:42;  author: jdc;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
Pull up revision 1.359 (requested by bouyer in ticket #1094).

The Hitachi HDP725025GLA380 returns "aborted command" instead of
"id not found" when hitting the LBA48 bug, so also install the
LBA48 bug workaround on "aborted command" errors.