Port-i386 archive

cpuid instruction causes panic on 486DX system

Hi,

I just tried to boot a current kernel on my trusty, old
486DX-based machine.  It panicked very early in the boot sequence
with a "supervisor trap privileged instruction fault".  To me it
seems that the kernel tried to use a not implemented instruction
on this CPU.

Ten finger dmesg and backtrace:
NetBSD 4.99.49 .....
total memory = 40572 KB
avail memory = 36580 KB
Generic PC
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
cpu0: Intel 486DX (486-class)
kernel: supervisor trap privileged instruction fault, code=0
stopped in pid 0.1 (system) at netbsd:x86_cpuid2+0xe:  cpuid
db> trace
x86_cpuid2
identifycpu
cpu_attach
config_attach_loc
config_found_ia
mainbus_attach
config_attach_loc
config_attach
config_rootfound
cpu_configure
configure
main

Don't tell me that we have also de-supported the 486-class of
CPUs.
                                        -jarle
--
"My instruction set is bigger than your instruction set.
 Neener neener neener."         -- Brian D Chase on port-vax