Port-i386 archive

Re: modernizing npx(4)

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 06:54:50PM -0600, David Young wrote:

> It is my understanding that since we do not support the 80386 any more,
> there is no need to support npx at irq 13, since every x86 processor
> since the 80486 is capable of reporting FP errors by using exception 16.
>
> Is it ok if I get rid of the vestiges of irq 13 handling,

Sounds good to me. It could share amd64's fpu.c. The only isuse I can think
of is that fpu.c assumes presence of the fxsave/fxrstor instructions (SSE).

> and move npx0 from isa0 to mainbus0?  Let me know.

The cpu attachment covers it. As the exception handling suggests the FPU has
not been seperate since the 486 - the 487 was IIRC actually just a 486DX.

Thanks,
Andrew