Subject: Re: X on Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT
To: Andy Ball , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/2002 22:49:52
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2002/06/16/0001.html

It's not at all clear what you mean by a ``weird interferance pattern''.

Is it a Moire'(sp) pattern?  I think that by default, X (twm?) starts with
a pixel-level checker pattern.  Try setting the background to a solid
color:

  xsetroot -solid Grey20

...this should set the background solidly to a single color, instead of
having the fine checker pattern.  If this gets rid of the pattern that
you're seeing, then my guess is that the display is slightly too find (or
too coarse) for the monitor.  If it causes other problems, you might try
changing your X video resolution.

Whether or not this will help, I'm not sure.  Even if it does help, it
will only affect the X background, not any other images.  (On my system,
there is a weak, wavy pattern in the X root window if I don't do something
like the above.  The effect is weak enough that it doesn't affect normal
use, but the highly regular, fine pattern of the default X root display is
visibly affected.)