Re: Future of hpcsh packages collection

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Nikos Ntarmos wrote:

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 04:26:54PM -0500, Michael Wileman wrote:
How do you propose to keep this current? Torsten's website works
pretty well now, but depends upon volunteer compilers. Keeping
packages up to date will require a lot of recompiling, and that is
going to be time consuming unless the packages can be cross-compiled.

That is true. I just had a look through the doc/pkgsrc.txt file on
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages (afaik the official source for
precompiled binaries) and it seems like only 200?-Q? binaries are
available for most archs. Perhaps a "compromise", such as building only
these packages plus security updates will be more suited to the
situation.

I'm curious as to which dates correspond to the packages on Torsten's site. I suspect it is all over the place, and that to get a complete set of packages for a specific quarter would require rebuilding a lot of them. Since people mostly build packages for themselves, I think it would be difficult to justify the effort.

It may be better just to avoid version number altogether in the directory structure, and just leave the version numbers in the file names. Then we can use what we already have and add more as necessary. This would also allow us to have multiple versions of the same package in a directory, and I think the pkg_add system will automatically choose the most current one if no version number is specified.

In most cases the dependencies would also be OK, as the dependencies have been built and uploaded at the same time by the builder of the package that requires them.

Mike