SCI vs SCIF to IR

First post to this list. Applause please.

Based upon the sh7709a pdf (and what little of it I understand):
1. Are the SCI and SCIF on the same chip (it looks like it)?
2. Is it possible to get the SCI to drive the IR?

I am trying to get the IR to output consumer IR codes and as such I can't
have a start or stop bit. The SCI in sync mode looks like it will work
provided that can drive the IR. I am open to any suggestions, however I
would prefer not to use a very high baud rate in order for the receiving ir
to miss the stop/start bits.

Also anyone know of a good tutorial/resource for SH3 asm?

BTW> Whomever responds, could you please cc a copy to "v i c t o r" at "i n
v h o m e . c o m"

vic