Port-hpcmips archive

Re: cross builds.

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I don't build software on the Mobilepro, it's way
> too slow. I either
> cross build on a desktop or just build stuff natively on my
> Cobalt and
> use it on the Mobilepro.

I've read the pkgsrc hints at doing builds with a cross compiler.  Although
most GNU configure tests will work with a cross compiler, there's still several
that simply require running a native binary.  An example would be the byte
alignment test in perl5 or libnet10.

Have you run into many issues using a cross compiler for pkgsrc builds?  I was
strongly leaning toward that direction when I finally get around to doing my
5.0 userland as it would GREATLY speed things up.

-S-